Monday, April 4, 2011

You Don't Need a Ton of Makeup to be a Makeup Guru!


So I started this post at 4am Monday morning and because I couldn't sleep so what better time to write a post. I have been watching a lot of youtube makeup "Gurus" lately to get some ideas on what I should start making tutorials on and the one thing I have noticed is each one eventually does a "makeup collection/organization" video. You wouldn't believe the amount of makeup some of these girls have. Yes, some of them are makeup artists for a living, but they still have an awful lot of "personal" makeup. I'm going to tell you girls I don't have a ton of makeup. As of right now I have this container that I keep the makeup that I use most often from Target, its 14" L x 10" W x 6" H and that is it. I'm slowly growing my collection, but makeup has a lifespan. Some of these girls have so much makeup there is no way they could possibly use it all by it's expiration (the expiration date starts after you open it, so if it is still sealed, if should be fine).

Makeup Lifespan:
Mascara: 3 months
Foundation: 1 year
Concealer: 12-18 months
Powder: 18 months
Blush/Bronzer: 18 months
Cream Blush: 12-18 months
Eyeshadow: 18 months
Eyeliner: 18 months
Liquid Eyeliner: 6 months
Lip stick/lip gloss: 12-18 months
Lip liner: 1 year
Nail Polish: 1 year
Makeup Sponges: Wash after every use/discard after 1 month
Makeup Brushes: Wash after every use/discard when frayed

If you don't follow this time-line you run the risk of developing eye infections, and face blemishes. Here are some links to some girls' makeup collections that are out of this world but impossible to keep up with.. this is Ramnari7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6NXrN4aSAc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxa1lbYQsqA&playnext=1&list=PL52CCF3E3287A3E8F
This girl has WAY TOO MUCH MAKEUP even for someone who is trying to become a makeup artist. The key to being a good makeup artist is being able to take what you have to work with and turning it into something beautiful, you don't need an entire room full of makeup to do so.

AllThatGlitters21:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crJD-NYTPGA&feature=related
Even though I am not a fan of her attitude, this girl has a little more manageable collection.

JuicyStar07:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MrZ8OtSis4&feature=fvwrel
Again this is a smaller more manageable collection, great for doing youtube tutorials, but a lot of money invested.

But this girl is one of my favorite. She is very classy. Has good ideas, and variety of makeup but isn't ridiculous! It's MakeupByTiffanyD and here is two of her makeup collection/storage videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exl4oEM_lMs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/user/MakeupByTiffanyD#p/u/47/D2Sw7x0x2FA

So here is what I have to offer...not much, but I can do A LOT with what I got!!!!





Crown Brush Set (made right here, in Crown Point, Indiana!), a Bare Essentials Bare Minerals Face Brush, and a Sonia Kashuk Stippling Brush

My Blue/Green MAC Palette
Top Row:Freshwater, Aquadisiac, Bitter
Middle Row: Atlantic Blue, Deep Truth, Tilt, Swimming
Bottom Row: Contrast, and Humid

My Neutral/Purple MAC Palette
Top Row: Quarry, Blanc Type, Naked Lunch, Hush (I LOVE THIS ONE!), Beautiful Iris
Middle Row: Scene, Goldmine, Parfait Amour
Bottom Row: Carbon, Knight Divine, Shadowy Lady, Nocturnelle

My Blush MAC Palette
Blunt (great non-shimmer bronzer), Fleur Power, Dollymix

So there you have it. I have some other "junk" in a box upstairs in my room. I keep this downstairs in my kids playroom so they can play while I do my makeup at the desk. I'm trying to build my collection, but good quality makeup is expensive so it will happen as it happens
~LOVE~ Dani

1 comment: